Re: Johannine ARCH (was Jn.1:1b word order)

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Tue Feb 10 1998 - 19:12:51 EST

At 03:56 PM 2/10/98 -0800, lakr wrote:

>Jonathan, If 'the beginning' at John 1:1 has the same reference
>as the one at Genesis 1:1, and I think this is likely, then
>there was a host of other spirit creatures who were created before
>the physical heavens and earth of Ge 1:1.

I would agree that John 1:1 and Genesis 1:1 have the same reference,
whether or not there were a whole host of spirit creatures that were
created before then. I do not yet have an opinion on this latter question,
which I have never researched. I'm pretty weak on the Old Testament...

>The 'things' or 'PANTA DI' AUTOU' which are referenced in the prologue
>would _not_ include these angels, in fact the book of Job shows them
>'shouting with applause' at this creation.

Where is this reference?

>I agree with you that John 1:1 does not tell us about what came into
>being *before* this time. For this we must look elsewhere.

I want to avoid going too far off into systematic theology, but if there
are some really clear references, I'd be interested in them. If you think
it would take us too far off into useless debates, private mail might be
better for this.

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research