Re: Acts 17:28

From: M. Phillips (mphilli3@mail.tds.net)
Date: Tue Feb 10 1998 - 22:21:01 EST

At 07:55 PM 2/11/98 -0700, Troy wrote:
>> Well, it's forced if you read the middle as reflexive ("move
>ourselves").
>> The middle can often be read simply as intransitive, however:
>>
>> "In whom we live, and move, and have being."
>
>IMHO, being no expert, it seems that the verbs should be consistent thus
>the previously suggested understandings could be:
>
> "In whom we ARE GIVEN LIFE, ARE MOVED, and ARE MADE TO EXIST"
>
>or
>
> "FOR whom WE LIVE, MOVE, and HAVE BEING."

        What do you mean by consistent? The tenses are certainly not identical,
i.e., two present active indicative tenses / aspects frame the verb in
question.

>Relevant crosstext:
>
>Galatians 2:
>19 For I, through the law, died to the law, that I might live to God. 20
>I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I that live, but
>Christ living in me. That life which I now live in the flesh, I live by
>faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.

        I'm missing the relevance, here -- perhaps it's the hour. Are we both
speaking Greek?

>Given the above passage, I don't see a logic problem reading the Acts
>passage either way-- given Calvin or not. :)

        The text wasn't intended as a proof text for or against Calvin -- like
you, I took Calvin as an aside. Given his penchant for quoting from
memory, though, I would find it an interesting study to see if his Latin
translation of the Institutes followed the Vulgate verbatim (and how that
was translated) or if his Latin or french usage reflected his personal
understanding (wrong or right) of the verb in question. Alas, I don't know
Latin or french well enough to pursue it, and it's a trivial question to
anyone not interested in Calvin's thought, I confess.

---
Michael Phillips
mphilli3@indy.tdsnet.com

"Celui qui est proche de l'Eglise est souvent loin de Dieu." (S/He who is near the Church is often far from God/dess). --Freely translated from Les Proverbes Communs, Circa 1500.