Re: adultery

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 11:13:55 EST

At 07:20 12/02/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Yet another theme that seems present here and is of considerable
>importance especially in Mark's gospel is the notion that when one becomes
>a follower of Jesus, the family of Jesus supercedes earlier familial
>relationships: cf. Mark 3:31-35 and Mark 10:28-31,

Yes, Carl I heartily agree, and what is more, I am mindful of other Gospel
passages which extend this message beyond "family" to "tribe" -- or "our
crowd" (as the vernacular here has it ) which divides society everywhere ,
most especially in Northern Ireland.

As I stood in our parish church two Sundays ago, listening to the pericope
beginning with Lk 4:21, the impact that vv. 25-27 made on me was enormous.
Here was the message of God's universal love , and one verse later the
rage of the congregation at the message that "our crowd" did not have the
monopoly.

A terrible warning, indeed -- and one sometimes overlooked when the entire
passage, beginning with v.16 is read.

Thanks again for all your very useful contributions to B-GREEK

Regatds,
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland]

"For the glory of God is a living man; and the life of man consists in
beholding God."
Irenaeus ( AH IV.20.7 )
.