Re: Did Judas know?

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Sat Feb 14 1998 - 17:04:45 EST

John, Chris, Edgar (in the order received):

Thanks for your responses. Yes, it does appear Judas had planned to
betray Christ (26:14-16). Perhaps his choice of words (MHTI EGW EIMI,
hRABBI) was was simply a reflection of what everybody else had been
saying and Judas' way of not giving himself away. Surely OUK EGW EIMI
would have had a contrary affect.

Yes, the title hRABBI, versus KURIOS, is significant.

Thanks also for the Hebrew connection on SU EIPAS, Edgar.

Paul Dixon

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:36:42 -0600 "Edgar M. Krentz" <emkrentz@mcs.com>
writes:
>>B-Greekers:
>>
>>In Mt 26:25 Judas asks Christ, MHTI EGW EIMI, hRABBI;
>>Christ responds, SU EIMAS.
>>
>>Two questions/observations:
>>2. Christ's response has always intrigued me. It seems that in
>reply to
>>such inquires, especially concerning His identity, Christ never gives
>>simple yes or no answer. Usually, His answers are something like
>this.
>
>Paul, I read somewhere that SU EIPAS = AMARTA in Hebrew--and that that
>is a
>form of saying yes. At the moment I don't recall where I read it--and
>don't
>have the time to track it down in my notes.

>Edgar Krentz
>Professor of New Testament
>Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
>Telephone: (773) 256-0752
>e-mail: Office: ekrentz@lstc.edu;
>Home: emkrentz@mcs.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]