Re: Dionysius of Corinth

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Mon Feb 16 1998 - 18:47:56 EST

At 11:28 16/02/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Some time ago Edgar Krentz posted a progressive list of "Apostolic
>Fathers." This list has been very useful to me while reading in
>Lightfoot's volumes, and I have enjoyed it greatly.
>
>A couple of weeks ago, however, while reading Ignatius' epistle to
>the Romans (introduction), Lightfoot illustrated a word with this quote
>from
>Dionysius of Corinth--
>
>EX ARCHS UMIN EQOS ESTI TOUTO, PANTAS MEN ADELFOUS
>POIKILWS EUERGETEIN, EKKLHSIAIS TE POLLAIS TAIS KATA
>PASAN POLIN EFODIA PEMPEIN, hWDE MEN THN TWN DEOMENWN
>PENIAN ANAYUCONTAS, EN METALLOIS DE ADELFOIS UPARCOUSIN
>EPICORHGOUNTAS: DI' hWN PEMPETE ARCHQEN EFODIWN
>PATROPARADOTON EQOS hRWMAIWN hRWMAIOI FULATTONTES...
>
>Though I have checked Perseus, LS, Bauer, et al., I cannot figure out the
>meaning of the word METALLOIS. METALLON means "mine, quarry,"
>and in the plural, "gold and silver mines." Is this the same word as
>in Dionysius' quote, perhaps used here by metonymy to mean gold or
>silver? Am I totally off base?
>
>I would appreciate any help. If this is off the subject of b-greek,
>I apologize in advance, but would still be very grateful if someone
>would write me privately to put me out of my misery!

Rick:

Have you tried the Morphological Analysis tools at:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/morphindex?display=SMK&lang=Greek&corpu
s=2.0&author=
[be sure to have it all on one line -- my e-mailer will chop up such a long
line]
You can actually find this, with a little bit of exploration on the Perseus
page you claim to have tried <sympathetic grin>

The marvellous tool will tell you that not only is METALLOIS the dative of
a noun, but it is also the 2nd. pers sing present OPTATIVE of
METALLAW = search carefully, inquire diligently.

The optative is one of those little traps for those who have learnt _only_
NT Greek.

Regards,
Maurice