Re: Jn 14:14 (Long)

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Sat Feb 21 1998 - 04:36:43 EST

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:42:29 EST GregStffrd@aol.com writes:
>Dear Paul,

<snip>

>Paul Dixon wrote:
>
><<B-Greekers:
>
>I really appreciate having a sounding board as I do my exegesis for
>sermons. I've got another one for the list.
>
>Jn 14:14 can be used in support of praying to Jesus. If so, then it
>appears to be the only scripture doing so, unless an appeal to Rev 21:20
>be made.>>
>
>Paul, did you have another text in mind? How does Rev 21:20 fit in
>here?

Did I say Rev 21:20? Yep, I meant Rev 22:20.

<snip>

><<Assuming it is to be included, what if we take the
>following EN TWi ONOMATI MOU as epexegetical to ME, giving "if you ask
>Me (that is, in My name) anything, I will do it." The whole verse would
>then be an epexegetical parallel to verse 13.>>
>
>I find it hard to take "in my name" as epexegetical to "me," for the
>simple reason that two entirely different thoughts are presented. Asking
the
>Father in the name of the Son is not the same thing as asking the Son
>himself.

Yes, I had reservations about taking EN TWi ONOMATI as epexegetical to
ME. It would be interesting to find out if anything like this is ever
done. Perhaps if we took the phrase as a dative of means, then the
epexegetical force might be more plausible: "if you ask Me, that is, if
you ask through My name, ..." I noticed Metzger rendered it, "ask me in
my name."

To be sure, the inclusion of ME here does seem forced and can easily be
explained as a scribal adjustment, perhaps thinking of Acts 7:59 or
perhaps his own practice of praying to Christ. That early manuscripts
from 3 different text families (Alexandrian, Western, Byzantine) omit the
ME is not insignificant.

I would also agree that the internal testimony seems to favor the
omission.

Thanks.

<snip>

Paul Dixon

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]