John 6:64 - TINES/TIS/TINES as indefinite/relative/relative?

From: noel@megsinet.net
Date: Sun Feb 22 1998 - 13:56:38 EST

In John 6:64, we find
    ..ALL' EISIN EX UMWN TINES hOI OU PISTEUOUSIN."
    HDEI GAR EX ARCHS hO IHSOUS TINES EISIN hOI MH
    PISTEUONTES KAI TIS ESTIN hO PARADWSWN AUTON.

I was just reading through this today, and really
got to wondering about the usage of TIS here.

It's pretty obvious that the first TINES is indefinite.
The second and third seem to be usually taken as the
relative use of the interrogative, though. What are
the indications in the text that lead to this?

I would think that the similarity of the three
phrases would be an argument in favor of them
all being indefinite.

Is it that there's no hOTI (or equivalent) to
introduce the second and third phrases? Or is
it something else that I'm not seeing?

Thanks...

--
    -- 'Tis a poor sort of truth that needs *my* commitment. --

Noel Maddy <noel@megsinet.net>