Re: YUCHN in Jude 15

From: David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 12:15:12 EST

Paul Zellmer <zellmer@isabela.faith.edu.ph> wrote:

>In the quote of Enoch 1, I find both N-A and UBS texts using the phrase
>ELEGXAI PASAN YUCHN PERI PANTWN TWN ERGWN ASEBEIAS AUTWN. Again, I
>find no variant listed. Yet commentaries seem to indicate that,
>instead of YUCHN, there is actually a form of ASEBEIS, and, instead of
>ELEGXAI, the word was EXELEGXAI. KJV and other major versions follow
>this reading. The alternate form of the verb does not seem to cause
>major translation problems, but what support is there for this
>conviction only of all the ungodly as opposed "all souls"?

        Since I'm answering this from the digest, you may already have an
answer to your question; but I'll send this short answer anyway.

        The variant you mention is not noted in the edition of the UBS Greek
NT that I have at hand (4th ed.). But it is in both the N-A 26th and N-A
27th. The commentaries you refer to and the KJV have obviously used the
_Textus Receptus_ as Greek text. A source I have that reproduces the
Trintarian Bible Society edition of the _Textus Receptus_ presents this
portion as follows: KAI EXELEGXAI PANTAS TOUS ASEBEIS AUTWN PERI PANTWN TWN
ERGWN ASEBEIAS AUTWN WN HSEBHSAN...

        According to the N-A 27th ed., PANTAS TOUS ASEBEIS is supported by
MSS A, B, C, Psi, 33, and some other miniscules. The Majority text adds
AUTWN after ASEBEIS. The text as it reads in N-A and UBS is supported by
Papyrus 72, Aleph, the Egyptian Sahidic and various Egyptian Boharic MSS.
Papyrus 72 may be considered a first-category source; and Aleph, although
inferior to B in the Gospels, is more highly regarded in the epistles. But,
then, B when in combination with A, C, and 33 would normally be considered
fairly strong evidence.

        Metzger doesn't comment on this verse in his _Textual Commentary_,
and it isn't in the Scripture Index of his _The Text of the New Testament_;
so it's hard to know just what the thinking of the committee was on this verse.

Regards,
David Moore

David L. Moore
Miami, Florida, USA
Southeastern Spanish District of the A/G Dept. of Education
E-mail: dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com
Home Page: http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore