Re: Meaning and form of Word in LXX

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Wed Feb 25 1998 - 08:30:27 EST

At 01:42 PM 2/25/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Could somebody help me with a word from LXX. I can't possible find out what
>is the form and meaning of word in Song of Solomon (Canticum) 4:4. The word
>is:
>
>qalpiwq
>
>Any suggestions?

This is a hapaxlegomenon. The Hebrew <heb> thalpioth </heb> was evidently
understood as a place name by the translator of the LXX, which was simply
transliterated from Hebrew to Greek. Gillis Gerleman says concerning the
Hebrew word, "Das Hapaxlegomenon <heb> thalpih </heb> gehoert zum
Nominaltypus <heb> taktilat </heb> und seine Wurzel ist sehr wahrscheinlich
<heb> lapha </heb> (lamed, pe, aleph), arab. lafa'a, "in Reihen ordnen"; so
Honeyman JTS 50, 1949, 51f.

jwest@highland.net