Re: Matt. 6:13//Lk. 11:3 Another Lord's Prayer Question!

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 12:40:17 EST

On Mon 16 Feb 98 (19:45:18), mphilli3@mail.tds.net wrote:
> I would interpret this to mean that a great many temptations were
> visited upon Jesus in the wilderness, while only the three culminating
> temptations are recounted. Your mileage may vary.

 Michael:

 Interesting. The Matthaean and Lukan order is different; these three
 temptations were repeated again and again in shifting combinations, together
 with other temptations we can know nothing about. The aim of these temptations
 appears to have been to get Jesus to abandon the Way of the Cross; hence his
 outburst to Peter at Caesarea Philippi (Matthew 16:22-23), and his having to
 set his face as a flint to go up to Jerusalem (Luke 9:51; cf Isaiah 50:7).
 God sent Moses and Elijah to impress upon him the importance of his EXODOS
 that he must perform in Jerusalem (Luke 9:31). Even on the Cross, he was
 tempted to come down from it without dying on it (Matthew 27:40-42). He was
 to rise again from the tomb on the third day, not come down from the cross on
 the first day!

 We cannot enter into Christ's sufferings for us. "[He] was in all points
 tempted as we are, yet without sin" (Hebrews 4:15).
 But here I go preaching: the cardinal sin of the b-greek FAQ. 8-(
 ---
> "Celui qui est proche de l'Eglise est souvent loin de Dieu."

 I thought it was "He who would have God for his Father must have holy church
 for his mother" (Augustine). I am reminded of a jingle I saw somewhere once:
    "Every time I see a church
        I pay a little visit.
     So, when at last I'm carried in,
        The Lord won't say, 'Who is it?'"

 We know what Augustine's besetting temptations were: "Da mihi castitatem et
 continentiam, sed noli modo" !!!

 CARIS KAI EIRHNH,

 Ben

--