Re: concatenation of genitives

From: James P. Ware (jw44@evansville.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 27 1998 - 21:52:26 EST

Clay

Thanks for the very relevant citation of Richard Young. Your paraphrase
of Young's analysis of the question, using 2 Co 4:4 as an example,
reflects what I had always taken to be the case (I repeat the most
relevant parts below). Surprising as it may sound, the research I have
been doing has been leading me to a different conclusion. I now think the
relation of multiple genitives to the other elements within the
noun-phrase in which they are embedded is syntactically encoded by the
respective position of the genitives within the noun-phrase. I believe
these syntactic patterns (I think there are several of them), when they
occur, are determinative for meaning (i.e. for the grammatical
relationship of the genitives to the noun-phrase as a whole). I don't
think it is up for grabs. So I think Young is wrong about 2 Cor 4:4.
That's my theory at any rate--whether it will hold any water remains to be
seen! I'll be interested to see your further comments and those of others
on the list.

Thanks again for your helpful and perceptive comments!