Re: "Jerusalems" of John 1:19

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 07:35:57 EST

At 10:51 PM 3/2/98 EST, WmHBoyd wrote:

>Why is "Jerusalem" (IEROSOLUMWN) plural in John 1:19?

This is quite common - it is plural 61 times in the GNT, and also in
extra-biblical literature. BAGD and Louw&Nida mention this, but neither
mentions any particular significance.

While we're waiting for a real answer....

I wonder if this has a meaning something like "Jerusalem and the area right
around it". I also wonder if hOI OURANOI has a similar meaning. No evidence
or knowledge behind this, just a conjecture.

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research
http://www.texcel.no