AETOS in Matt 24:28

From: Andrew Bromage (bromage@cs.mu.oz.au)
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 21:03:50 EST

G'day all.

Does anyone know what AETOS in Matt 24:28 refers to? It literally
means "eagle" (no doubt an allusion to a standard of some army or
other), however some modern translations (NRSV and NIV in particular)
suggest "vulture", probably because eagles tend not to search for
PTWMA.

One commentary suggested that in this verse it could have referred to a
vulture which resembles an eagle. Not being an ornithologist, I don't
know if such a bird exists, but I'll take their word for it.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this bird might be?

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage