Re: Verb Tense Usage Statistics

From: Randy LEEDY (RLEEDY@bju.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 04 1998 - 08:01:03 EST

At a quick glance, it appears to me that you set up your BWW search
to exclude participles and infinitives and pick up only finite verbs.
Try replacing all the characters after the tense with a simple * and
see what you find.

****************************
In Love to God and Neighbor,
Randy Leedy
Bob Jones University
Greenville, SC
RLeedy@bju.edu
****************************

>>> Robert H. Matlack, Jr. <rmatlack@juno.com> 3/3/98, 07:34pm >>>
Figures don't lie, but... ???

I was doing some comparisons of verb tense usage in the NT and ran
across
a troubling situation. A grammar that I was using gave some
statistics
that were from determined using acCordance. They did not match
BibleWorks
and even in Bible Works the statistics did not always match depending
on
whether the codes were entered directly to the command line or if the
Morphology Assistant was used. Some of the differences are quite
significant as you can see.
Morphology Asst. -- Verb, pluperfect tense, any mood, any voice, any
person, any number = 86
Command line -- *@v?l?--?? gave 86
>From acCordance statistics -- Pluperfect, 86

Morphology Asst. -- Verb, perfect tense, any mood, any voice, any
person,
any number = 857
Command line -- *@v?r?--?? gave 857
>From acCordance statistics -- Perfect, 1,571

Morphology Asst. -- Verb, present tense, any mood, any voice, any
person,
any number = 7,031
Command line -- .*@v?p?--? gave 6,932
>From acCordance statistics -- Present, 11,583

Morphology Asst. -- Verb, aorist tense, any mood, any voice, any
person,
any number = 8,451
Command line -- .*@v?a?--? gave 8,451
>From acCordance statistics -- Aorist, 11,606

Morphology Asst. -- Verb, imperfect tense, any mood, any voice, any
person, any number = 1,683
Command line -- .*@v?i?--? gave 1,522
>From acCordance statistics -- Imperfect, 1,682

Morphology Asst. -- Verb, future tense, any mood, any voice, any
person,
any number = 1,684
Command line -- .*@v?f?--? gave 1,655
>From acCordance statistics -- Future, 1,623

Does anybody know why or what I might have done wrong?

Rob Matlack
620 E. 5th St.
Minneapolis, KS 67467
785-392-2865
RMatlack@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]