RE: Anthropology & Colossians 3:12-15

From: Richard Lindeman (richlind@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 1998 - 16:00:32 EST

Ok.... let's bring some of this discussion this back down to earth. :-) It
sounds like I have a wealth of resources to choose from in pursuing a deeper
understanding of NT anthropology. I will check out some of the resources
which you all have so graciously mentioned.

But now a more practical approach to the subject... Translation. It seems
to me that this is one area of translation which is especially challenging.
If we accept the premise that our own anthropology is much different than
that of the NT, then what is the best approach for the translator to take?
To translate the anthropological terms literally and accept the fact that
this will mean that the vast majority of the readers will fail to grasp what
is stated? Or to translate the Greek anthropological terms as best as one
can into modern English anthropology terms... and in the process perhaps
frustrate the more informed reader? Or is there an in-between path between
these two options?

A test example might be Colossians 3:12-15. With a special view to
anthropological terminology (both directly and indirectly stated) that is
used in this segment... what might be the best approach to translation?

Blessings,

Rich Lindeman