RE: Classical Greek

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 08:57:48 EST

At 6:18 AM -0600 3/11/98, Peter Phillips wrote:
>Does the difference lie in the fact that both Homer and Catullus used
>specific metres etc and so we are more aware of the possible shpes of the
>missing pieces while the free prose of the Koine gospels and letters means
>that we have fewer guides to show us where to go?

Well, the meter is certainly an immense help in recognizing what the author
(assuming he/she was a competent metrician!) is most unlikely to have
written, but of course good students of Greek or Latin are likely to be
able to write reasonably competent dactylic hexameters and
hendecasyllabics--so, metrically flawed words or syllables are red flags in
a text that can be readily recognized, yet there can still be competent
forgeries or interpolations--and this is a notorious problem in the text of
Homer. I'm leery of overgeneralization in this area, and that's the main
thing I was trying to say in my response to the original question: I think
it is somewhat perilous to say that either the tradition of the Biblical
text is sounder than that of non-Biblical texts of other ancient authors or
vice versa, or to make overly general comparisons between the textual
traditions of any two ancient authors based solely upon a single criterion
such as age and/or number of MSS that are extant.