Re: Acts 17:25 therapeuetai

From: Randall M. Tidmore (rtidmore@thechurch.com)
Date: Thu Mar 12 1998 - 17:27:20 EST

Thanks for responding. It is very interesting to me. I have not check the
LXX for the use of the word, but in the NT it was translated healed or cured
every time I believe. It seems reasonable that our English word Therapy came
from it.

I am not trying to be argumentative. I don't have anything to argue with. I
was doing a word study on the verse and happened on to this. It seems to me
that "served" does not fully get the idea. For one thing, NT Scriptures seem
to indicate that we serve God with our whole being. No doubt, there are
figures of speech involved in some of these passages, i.e., "pray, lifting
up holy hands." "How beautiful are the 'feet' of those who preach the good
news." Paul wrote to the Thessalonians:
1 Thessalonians 5:23
23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your
whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our
Lord Jesus Christ.
The Holy Bible, New King James Version, (Nashville, Tennessee: Thomas
Nelson, Inc.) 1982.

I think there are many instances, in which "serving" with our bodies is
involved in serving (pleasing) God. Jesus said:

Matthew 4:10
10 Then Jesus said to him, ãAway with you, Satan! For it is written, ÎYou
shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.â ä
The Holy Bible, New King James Version, (Nashville, Tennessee: Thomas
Nelson, Inc.) 1982.

It is a different Greek word used, LATREUSEIS.

Our English word "serve" seems awfully ambiguous, perhaps the Greek word
was, too. Again, thanks for responding.

Sincerely,
Randy