In the name of ...

From: Michael S. Olszta (msolszta@ici.net)
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 23:35:37 EST

In Matthew 28:19 I read:

Matt 28:19 (KJS) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them
in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Question: Regarding the words EIS TO ONOMA TOU patroV kai tou uiou kai
tou agiou pneumatoV, does this mean that the Father, the Son, and the
Holy Ghost have ONE NAME by which they are to be called?

In the book of Acts I read that the apostles baptized in the name of
Jesus Christ or the name of the Lord Jesus (Acts 2:38, 8:16, 19:5).

Traditionally, the church has baptized using the Matthew 28:19 formula.
The argument given to me has been that the term TO ONOMA TOU can also
mean "by authority of". Liddel, Scott, Jones doesn't seem to concur
with that explanation. Is there any such usage in Greek which would
give the meaning "by the authority of" or is the passage speaking of ONE
NAME into which the church was to baptize, that name applying to TOU
PATROS KAI TOU UIOU KAI TOU hAGIOU PNEUMATOS Thank you.

Michael Olszta