Re: In the name of ...

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Thu Mar 12 1998 - 13:01:56 EST

>Michael S. Olszta wrote:
>>
>> In Matthew 28:19 I read:
>>
>> Matt 28:19 (KJS) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing
them
>> in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
>>
>> Question: Regarding the words EIS TO ONOMA TOU patroV kai tou uiou kai
>> tou agiou pneumatoV, does this mean that the Father, the Son, and the
>> Holy Ghost have ONE NAME by which they are to be called?

My suspicions are that we should understand TO ONOMA to be repeated
before TOU hUIOU and before TOU hAGIOU PNEUMATOU, so that we get in
essence is:

EIS TO ONOMA TOU PATROUS KAI (TO ONOMA) TOU hUIOU KAI (TO ONOMA) TOU
hAGIOU PNUEMATOUS.

Some who take it so practice triune immersion. This is where the
baptismal candidate is immersed three times. There is good evidence to
believe the early church took it this way, as reflected in the writings
of the early church fathers.

Paul Dixon

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]