Re: In the name of ...

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Thu Mar 12 1998 - 20:47:35 EST

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 17:25:01 EST WmHBoyd <WmHBoyd@aol.com> writes:
>Perhaps someone would explain to us the difference in "EV" the name
(Acts
>2:38) and "EIS" the name (Matthew 28:19). I have understood "EV" to be
in
>reference to authority, as in "Stop! "EV" the name of the law." While
"EIS" to
>be in reference to relationship, as in "Place the property "EIS" my
>name." If this be the case "EIS" the name of the Father, Son, and Holy
Spirit
>would be into the one same relationship with the three.

There is no EN (or, as you have it, EV) in Acts 2:38. The preposition
there is EPI. Nevertheless, the essential difference between EN and EIS
is location in versus movement into. The former denotes position in, as
believers as said to be EN CRISTWi. The latter (EIS) is more active and
denotes motion or movement into, as those who PISTEUWN EIS CRISTWi where
faith in Christ is viewed as as on-going process.

Paul Dixon

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]