Re: article with prepositional phrase (Rom. 9:5)

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 10:06:21 EST

At 8:39 AM -0600 3/13/98, David Mills wrote:
>(message)
>The phrase TO KATA SARKA is a little puzzling to me, and I don't find much
>help in any of my resource books. Why is an article needed? What
>determines the case of the article? What does this construction mean?
>Thanks.

This is strange. I assume that it's dealt with somewhere in BDF, but I'll
simply note my observation: that starting in the classical era and
increasingly throughout the Hellenistic era more and more prepositional
phrases are made articular and become sort of "complex adverbs: some of
them tend even to be written together, KAQOLOU --> TO KAQOLOU; KATA MEROS
--> TO KATA MEROS. With a bit of reflection, I think I could come up with
several others: TO DI'hOLOU ...

Because of the general interest of this point, I'm going to post it to
B-Greek. Perhaps some others can shed more light on this process. Thanks
for bringing it up.