Re: Luke 22:20

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Mar 15 1998 - 16:53:57 EST

James P. Ware wrote:

> I find I must disagree with George Athas' reply that the text is ambiguous
> in Luke 22:20 as to whether it is the blood or the cup which is poured
> out. An attributive adjectival participle, like any adjective, agrees with
> the noun it modifies not only in gender and number, but also in case.

James

All this is fine and good but have you really established that this is
"attributive adjectival participle?" The position of the participle alone is
enough to cast some doubt this. I suppose if you factor out the prepositional
phrase EN ... MOU that removes one difficulty. However, isn't it a bit odd for
an attributive adjective to follow the second half of an equative clause (this
equals that) when this adjective is intended to modify the first half of the
equation? I am not a word order expert but this seems to stretch even the
flexible patterns of Greek word order a little.

Godet states that the participle is a nominative absolute. I think I will cast
my vote for Godet at this point.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point