Re: Luke 22:20

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Mar 16 1998 - 07:07:18 EST

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> >Godet states that the participle is a nominative absolute. I think I will cast
> >my vote for Godet at this point.
>
> Yes, I noticed you mentioned this earlier, and I scratched my head then
> when I read it. I wonder what the deep inner necessity is for Hellenistic
> Greek grammarians to invent new "absolutes," whether or not there's any
> reason for it. As I've argued before, I don't think we ought to talk about
> "absolute" constructions unless we have both a subject and a participial
> predicate in the same case. In this instance I'd say that TOUTO TO POTHRION
> is the subject and that ECCUNNOMENON is indeed an attributive adjectival
> participle, oddly distant from POTHRION but nevertheless clearly
> identifiable as such by the neuter article referring back to POTHRION.

Carl,

Would you say that this sort of separation between the attributive adjectival
 participle and POTHRION is a normal thing in literary Greek?

One of the draw backs of reading Koine Greek almost exclusively is that
authors like Luke and the author of Hebrews seem to do strange things, which
if viewed in terms of literary Greek style of earlier times are not really
strange, but when viewed against the background of John's Gospel look rather
bizarre.

My question:

Is the separation between ECCUNNOMENON and POTHRION one of these kinds of
issues or is this separation even startling for someone who has read a lot of
literary Greek?

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point