Re: Luke 22:20

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 16 1998 - 20:46:31 EST

At 7:32 PM -0600 3/16/98, George Athas wrote:
>Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>
>> [...] One of the beauties of Greek, albeit one that tends to disturb
>>moderns who
>>
>> think that function is or ought to be determined by word-order and close
>> proximity, is that related elements are clearly marked even when
>> considerably separated from each other; in this instance it is the TO that
>> clearly refers back to the neuter singular POTHRION that constitutes the
>> key to comprehension. [...] And lest you think I am talking about Greek
>> and Latin poetry and only classical Greek prose, consider this example in 1
>> Cor 2:7 ALLA LALOUMEN QEOU SOFIAN EN MUSTHRIWi THN APOKEKRUMMENHN ... Here
>> THN APOKEKRUMMENHN is an attributive participle in agreement with
>> SOFIAN--and the construction, so far as I can see, is exactly parallel to
>> that in Luke 22:20 TOUTO TO POTHRION hH KAINH DIAQHKH EN TWi hAIMATI MOU TO
>> hUPER hUMWN EKCUNNOMENON ... in which TO hUPER hUMWN EKCUNNOMENON is an
>> attributive participle to be construed with TOUTO TO POTHRION, despite the
>> intervening material.
>
>But Carl, the ambiguity with Luk 22:20 is that both POTHRION and hAIMA are
>singular neuter nouns, so the singular neuter participle EKCUNOMENON may
>be the
>attributive of POTHRION or the predicate of hAIMATI.

Well, I'd say that if TO hUPER hUMWN EKCUNNOMENON is supposed to be
understood as agreeing with hAIMATI, it ought to be written as TWi hUPER
hUMWN EKCUNNOMENWi. I guess this comes back to the point that you want
somehow to understand TO as a "relative pronoun," and I don't see how it
can be.

I'm going to drop this now; I think everyone understands the position that
each of us has argued and they're probably bored to death!