Re: TI POIEITE LUONTES (Mk. 11:5)

From: George Athas (gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 05 1998 - 17:38:53 EST

Randy,

Yes, the sterner translation and interpretation ("What are you doing
untying the colt?") is right here. It is perfect idiomatic Greek to
speak in this way and a tone of disapproval is definitely detectable.
I'm not an historical etymologist, so I can't tell you if that is where
we get the equivalent modern English expression, but the same basic
expression is still used in Greek today, though with a modern
vocabulary.

Best regards!
George Athas
 PhD (Cand.), University of Sydney
 Tutor of Hebrew, Moore Theological College
Phone: 0414 839 964 ICQ#: 5866591
Email: gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au

(Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at)
(http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm)