Philemon 6

From: Richard Lindeman (richlind@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Mar 10 1998 - 16:44:10 EST

In reading Philemon I notice the variety of possible interpretations
for verse six. Not only is there the question of the force of the
genitive in PISTEWS... but there is also the question of how to take
the prepostitional phrase EN EPIGNWSEI PANTOS AGAQOU. Why should I
consider taking this phrase as expressing *purpose* "so that you will
have a full understanding of every good thing" NIV... rather than taking
it as *causative* "because of the full understanding of every good thing"??
The latter seems more natural to me. Perhaps someone here could explain
the logic of the NIV rendering here.

Thanks,

Rich Lindeman