Re: John 1:1 EN ARQH

From: George Athas (gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Wed Mar 18 1998 - 16:31:36 EST

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> At 2:06 AM -0600 3/18/98, Peter Phillips wrote:
> >I am getting a little exasperated by all these posts on ARXHI in John 1.
> >I am at a loss as to why geographical terms are being incorporated into
> >this word's semantic domain. Why are we using 'boundary-less', 'open
> >vastess' and all such signifiers.<
>
> I'm also fascinated by the broad range of transliteration-schemes for this
> little Greek word meaning variously, "beginning," "primacy,"
> "principality," "empire," KTL. I'm inclined to think that's been more
> illuminating than the thread itself. I find myself wondering whether to
> pronounce this word "are-they,"arks-hay," "archay," and I'm still waiting
> for the definitive pronunciation. ;-)

Yes, it has been rather funny, hasn't it?!?! The common 'classical'
pronunciation would be "ar-KAY". The way John most probably would have said it
is "ar-HEE" (with a strong pronounced "H").

Just a couple of sheqels in shortchange!
George Athas
 PhD (Cand.), University of Sydney
 Tutor of Hebrew, Moore Theological College
Phone: 0414 839 964 ICQ#: 5866591
Email: gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au

(Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at)
(http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm)