Re: Aktionsart/Aspect/Lexis

From: Rolf Furuli (furuli@online.no)
Date: Wed Mar 18 1998 - 17:11:42 EST

Dale M. Wheeler wrote,

<My own personal feeling is that in general the present *is not* durative
<by nature, but rather it is aoristic in the sense of being undefined...
<ie., it just gets out of the way and lets the Aktionsart of the verb
<do its thing. When Greek speakers want to indicate durativeness
<with verbs which are not by nature durative in and of themselves,
<they normally use helping words (eg., adverbs) or place the
<present in a context where durativeness is clearly indicated.

Dear Dale,

Could you please give an example or two of clauses where helping words
change verbs which by nature are not durative into durative verb phrases,
or where the context clearly signals durativeness in such verbs. Do we not
find such examples with imperfects?

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli