RE: Humpty Dumpty

From: Peter Phillips (p.m.phillips@cliff.shef.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 18 1998 - 07:32:47 EST

But...before this thread is closed down can I have my twopennath?

Indeed semantic domains do not have hard edges - your examples show the possibility of a (reading) community developing its own sociolinguistic semantic domain. However, you cannot go on and say that the locus for meaning is not in the words. The locus of meaning, as cognitive linguistics seems to show IS precisely in the words as ciphers for the semantic domain - almost similar to Plato and his Ideas. Without the words there would be no semantic domain. The word anchors the meaning of the semantic domain and eventually even the most erudite teenage rebel will find it hard to wrench a word too far from that domain. If that is not the case then the only possibility for communication is a basic assumption that we are members of the same community. This assumption has to be taken at so basic a level that it would seem to point to a correlation between word and meaning rather than to convention about certain ciphers referring to certain things whereas in another community it could refer to something else e
ntirely.

Probably that made no sense at all - if so, just delete it and be done!

Pete Phillips
New Testament/IT
Cliff College, Sheffield, UK
Tel: 01246 582321, Fax: 01246 583739