Re: :-( Fanning

From: Rod Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 21 1998 - 13:55:17 EST

Re. Richard's, Jonathan's, and Glenn's comments:

Both Fanning and Porter were over $100 when published. Porter is still in
print and now *only*! $50 in paperback. I hope that Fanning is able to make
arrangements to get his back in print, esp. if it is paperback or at least
less extravagantly priced. No vol. in the series in which his appeared
(Oxford Theological Monographs) has ever had a second printing by Oxford. I
second Jonathan's recom. of the introductory volume by Porter and Carson.
Two other useful introductions are Moises Silva's, *God, Language and
Scripture* (which does address the aspect issue) and Porter's intermediate
grammar, *Idioms of the Greek NT.* As pointed out earlier, there are some
def. preferences between Porter's and Fanning's approches, but let me note
that they prob. agree in 70-80% of what they have to say about aspect
(which is significant in itself). Although I have definite preferences for
Porter's approach to aspect, it should be noted that Fanning has addressed
Aktionsart in far greater detail, and very helpfully so. There remains
considerable room for someone to propose an approach that combines the
strengths of each of these. Of course, I think that ought to be done by
grafting Fanning's Aktionsart onto Porter's aspect--but I'm sure others
here won't agree on that approach! :)

And BTW, it probably looks like I dropped out of the middle of a discussion
that I in part initiated this past week (semantics/pragmatics). My schedule
took me out of town (and I leave again tomorrow), but I will try to respond
to that thread next week if it is still alive. Today I'm just "passing
through."

Rod

>From: Richard Lindeman <richlind@ix.netcom.com>
>Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 17:26:38 -0600
>Subject: :-( Fanning
>
>I searched for Buist Fanning's book "Verbal Aspect" hoping to make the
>purchase. However, the search engine tells me that this book is now out of
>print. :-( I guess I really am behind the times on this. Is this there a
>more current treatment of the subject???
>
>Thanks
>
>Rich Lindeman

>From: Jonathan Robie <jonathan@texcel.no>
>Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 19:13:03 -0500
>Subject: Re: :-( Fanning
>
>At 05:26 PM 3/20/98 -0600, Richard Lindeman wrote:
>>I searched for Buist Fanning's book "Verbal Aspect" hoping to make the
>>purchase. However, the search engine tells me that this book is now out of
>>print. :-( I guess I really am behind the times on this. Is this there a
>>more current treatment of the subject???
>
>As of three months ago:
>
>1. Fanning's book is, IMHO, the best detailed look at verbal aspect in
>Greek, with wonderful attention to detail in many examples. However, it
>REALLY IS out of print, and very hard to get your hands on except from
>seminary libraries.
>
>2. Mari Broman Olsen's book gives much less detailed treatment of Greek
>examples, but is further along on the theory (it is more recent). It is
>still available - but I bought my copy as soon as it came out lest it go
>out of print, since books on this subject aren't always best sellers.
>
>3. Stan Porter's book on the same subject is the other big book on Greek
>aspect. People who study aspect tend have strong preferences for Fanning or
>for Porter; I strongly prefer Fanning.
>
>4. As an introduction, I really like "Biblical Greek Language and
>Linguistics: Open Questions in Current Research", by Stanley Porter and
>Donald Carson. This is also really worth reading after reading the other
>stuff.
>
>My opinion only.
>
>Jonathan

 Rodney J. Decker Baptist Bible Seminary