Re: Speaking of out of print books....

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@utc.campus.mci.net)
Date: Sun Mar 22 1998 - 13:49:51 EST

Ted:

Out-of-print does not mean you have the right to copy it.

For a book created before January 1, 1978 the work is copyrighted for 28
years with the option of being renewed for an addtional 28 years for a total
of 56 years. If the book's copyright was renewed after January 1, 1978, it
was extended for 75 years. For a book that was created on or before Janurary
1, 1978 the copyright is for the life of the author plus fifty years. This
is the law

Hope this helps!

Kevin

At 11:43 PM 3/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Kevin:
>
> Inasmuch as B-Greekers and many others are often interested in
>locating out-of-print books, I wonder about the ethics of photocopying
>such books for one's own use, with the intention of purchasing them
>should they become available again. I have heard that some do this.
>What's your view? Aside from ethics, is it legal? Thanks.
>
>Ted
>
>Dr. Theodore "Ted" H. Mann
>Orchard Lake, Michigan
>thmann@juno.com

>Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Cierpke Memorial Library
1815 Union Ave.