Re: Adverbs as Adjectives

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 23 1998 - 11:52:13 EST

At 10:32 AM -0600 3/23/98, lakr wrote:
>> and wondering why BEBAIWS was modifying a noun. I didn't take me long to
>>find
>> this in Smyth #1096 and #1097. Then my thoughts turned to the NT and I
>>decided
>> to see if adverbs ever functioned as adjectives in the NT. I could not
>> immediately find anything in BDF so I scraped the dust off of A.T. Robertson
>> and there it was on page 547. Robertson gives several examples, the first is
>> Romans 3:26 EV TWi NUN KAIRWi.
>> I don't know why I get excited about this kind of thing, other than the fact
>> Clay
>

>Clay, I don't know if Robertson includes this example, but just this
>weekend I had a question regarding a construction at 1 Tim 6:19,
>'THS ONTWS ZWHS' or the real life. Here the adverb ONTWS is functioning
>as an adjective according to the entry in my BAG. I was suprised at
>this and chalked it up as just one more of the many things I have
>not run into in Koine. I had no idea that it was unusual.

I think that the positioning of an adverb in attributive position between
an article and a noun is pretty standard, common Greek; at least in
classical Attic, one sees not at all infrequently, phrases like hOI TOTE
ANQRWPOI or hOI EKEI EPICWRIOI. It's no different, I'd say, from what we
see in Lk 1:3 hOI AP' ARCHS AUTOPTAI where the adverbial phrase AP' ARCHS
is used in attributive position to qualify AUTOPTAI.