Re: Revelation 3.2

From: Edgar Foster (questioning1@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 24 1998 - 18:24:18 EST

---Juan Stam wrote:

> Greetings from Costa Rica!
>
> I have a question about Aune's interpretation of Rev 3.2. Although
he showed
> that the neut plural TA LOIPA could refer to persons, to me he did
not seem
> to demonstrate that it ought to. I wonder if a more natural
interpretation
> of the neut pl might still be "those things which remain" (elements of
> faith, congregational life, etc, even though tepid). Can it be
shown that
> "those who" is the meaning of TA LOIPA?
>
> Juan Stam, Universidad Nacional de Costa Rica

Greeting Juan,

Here are a few comments on TA LOIPA:

"Although the phrase WHAT REMAINS is neuter, as the translation
suggest, the reference is not to things but people. Possibly the
neuter is used in anticipation of the word in verse 4 translated as
"people" (Greek ONOMATA, literally "names"). The Greek word for names
is neuter, but refers there to persons (compare Acts 1:5)."

Comments taken from _Revelation_ (The IVP NT Commentary Series) by J.
Ramsay Michaels (IV Press, 1997)

E. Foster