Re: be angry, Eph 4.26

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Mon Mar 30 1998 - 16:02:26 EST

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:25:45 EST Kyrychenko <Kyrychenko@aol.com> writes:
>Dear B-Greekers,
>
>How to understand the LXX Ps.4.4 quotation of imper. ORGIZESQE KAI MH
>hAMARTANETE in Eph 4.26, especially when below (v.31) it is said
>PASA...ORGH...ARQHTW AF hUMWN ?

The possibilities seem to be:
1. take ORGIZESQE interrogatively - Are you angy? Sin not.
2. take ORGIZESQE imperativally (as LXX):
        a. conditionally and Hebraistically - if you are angry, then do
not sin.
        b. permissively - be angry (I cannot hinder it), only do not sin.
        c. in parallel with MH hAMARTANETE - be angry and (or, yet)
do not sin.

The last one above (2.c) has my vote, for the following reasons:
1. ORGIZESQE should probably be taken in the same way as all the other
imperatives in the section, i.e., as a present imperative describing a
desireable characteristic behavior, or an undescribeable characteristic
behavior to be avoided (MH + pres imperative).
2. There is no conflict with v. 31. There is a righteous anger that we
are to possess. It is, or should be directed toward sinful behavior,
such as lying, stealing, unwholesome words, etc. (all in this context).
Such provokes God's wrath and ought to provoke ours. How that anger is
to be resolved is described in 26b (confronting the sinning individual
that very day, and doing it, of course, in love). But, when this course
of action is not pursued, then the result is sin (26b) as further
described in the settled angry state in v. 31. Thus it is possible to
obey v. 26 and to be angry over sin, but also to obey v. 31 and to remove
all bitterness, wrath, anger and slander from us.

Paul Dixon

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]