Re: Binary Oppositions / Fanning

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Apr 01 1998 - 05:41:30 EST

Thanks to Jonathan and Rod for the clarifications.

I have another question about Fanning's book. On page 70, the last paragraph
he describes Robertson's and BDF's treatment of the present and aorist. They
state that both the present and aorist have *positive* properties for which
they are marked. And that the aorist is not simply *neutral*.

This is fine. My problem is with the last sentence on the page. Fanning says:

"In this way both aspects are marked but the two markings operate on divergent
planes and are thus contradictory or contrary."

This sentence seems to be defective in that it lacks a negative particle
before "contradictory and contrary." Am I confused again or is this sentence
an editorial oversight?

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point