Re: **skivvies**

From: Glen Riddle (glen1@flash.net)
Date: Sat Apr 04 1998 - 09:33:39 EST

I can't believe this "skivvies" thread has gone on so long and I still
don't have a decent etymology for the word! I studied classical Greek at
the University of Texas years ago under Gareth Morgan who is a most
delightful man and as brilliant in Greek--and Indo-European languages in
general--as our much esteemed Carl Conrad. I just remembered Gareth asking
years ago if I knew anything of the source of "skivvies". He noted the rare
nature of double v in English. So, I'm still waiting for this one: whether
boxers or briefs, I'd sure like to know the source.
g.p.riddle