Re: 1 John 1,1

From: dalmatia@eburg.com
Date: Sat Apr 04 1998 - 15:23:26 EST

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> My problem with this discussion, however much I appreciate what middle
> voice can do, is that (a) QEAOMAI is traditionally called a deponent verb
> because it is middle in EVERY tense, and (b) other verbs of vision in
> John's gospel and the first letter are no less intense in their sense than
> the verb QEAOMAI. I have on other occasions recommended the appendix on
> verbs of vision in Raymond Brown's Anchor commentary on John's Gospel.

Thanks for the reference, Carl...

What this passage does, for my eyes, is provide a clear contrast
between physical seeing with the eyes, and the inner vision in the
aorist immediately following it, each using different words for 'see',
and the second, as you point out, is ALWAYS in the middle... This is
JOHN talking about vision...

George