Word order, James 1:5 this time

From: Paul Zellmer (zellmer@isabela.faith.edu.ph)
Date: Sat Apr 04 1998 - 20:43:48 EST

In James 1:5b, I run into another case of convoluted word order, if one
trusts the English translations. The clause reads AITEITW PARA TOU
DIDONTOS QEOU PASIN hAPLWS. The translations seem to either treat
PASIN hAPLWS as if it preceded QEOU, or DIDONTOS as if it followed
QEOU. The one exception seems to be the Amplified, which states
(supplies?) the DIDONTOS both before and after QEOU.

Is the one lacking wisdom commanded to ask of the giver, who is God?
Or is he supposed to ask of God, who gives? Or is it the giving God?
In any case, how does "to all liberally" fit?

If I had looked ahead before my last message, I probably would have
combined these questions.

Thanks again,

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project