Re: Question on Luke 1:45 cf Heb. 4:3

From: dalmatia@eburg.com
Date: Wed Apr 08 1998 - 10:48:54 EDT

Robert W. Meyers wrote:

> My question is about the aorist participle in both verses for "believed."
>
> Doesn't each verse refer to "snapshot" occurrence of belief at some
> point in the past?
>
> That is, could Luke 1:45, in itself, be a subtle hint that Mary exercised
> faith
> at the annunciation, but she certainly might NOT appear as a woman of faith
> at later points, as Luke 2:48 and Mark 3:21-35 certainly subsequently showed?

Hello Bob ~

Luke 1:45 is a classic illustration of the wonderful blending of
historical and timeless Truth, and the aorist participle [H
PISTEUSASA] brings forth the timeless Truth of this passage of the
historical account of the annunciation. "Happy is she who
believes..." tells a timeless Truth, and here, in this historical
account, she is indeed believing. If 'believing' falters, then the
implication is that 'unhappy' will be the result.

The verse itself is indeed a historical 'shapshot' of a particular
event where a woman is believing, and the timeless aorist gives to the
reader the timeless wisdom of believing. The historical account here
tells us that she is believing, while the aorist teaches us the
timeless principle that we are to learn from it.

> And that the aorist participle in Heb. 4:3 can be taken as saying the
> entry of any man into the Rest is guaranteed by the occurrence of
> faith being exhibited at that crucial "snapshot" point somewhere back
> in the past? Even though points of unbelief might later occur, as with
> Mary, above?

hOI PISTEUSANTES "We [or those] who believe are entering into
Rest..." The timeless aorist here lets beg the question of 'when'
one is believing or not, and very simply tells us the timeless truth.
The historical past, or future, for that matter, is not addressed by
the aorist. Those issues are addressed by Paul's account here. The
aorist simply tells us the timeless truth that 'those who believe' are
entering...

I pray this is helpful...

George