Re: Definition of Hapax Legomena

From: CWestf5155 (CWestf5155@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 08 1998 - 21:17:19 EDT

From: CWestf5155 <CWestf5155@aol.com>
To: M.S.Goodacre@bham.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Definition of Hapax Legomena
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 21:16:11 EDT

Dear Mark,

> Now, my problem is that I am working through a book at the moment
> that seems to be working with another definition, but a definition
> that I do not understand. The book is Kim Paffenroth, *The Story of
> Jesus According to L* (JSNTSup, 147; Sheffield: Sheffield Academic
> Press, 1997). p. 70 describes hapax legomena as "words that occur
> nowhere else in Luke-Acts" (which would fit in with definition 2
> above) but p. 73 goes on to discuss "hapax legomena that occur in
> more than one L pericope", listing words like BRECW (Luke 7.38, 44;
> 17.29) and GAMOS (Luke 12.36; 14.8), concluding about such words, "Of
> the thirteen hapax legomena that occur in more than one L pericope .
>
> Any ideas?

I'm answering without consulting the source, but it sounds like this is
referring to redaction criticism. In this case, Luke would have three
sources: Mark, Q (which Luke shares with Matt), and L (material peculiar to
Luke). The writer seems to be saying that there are 13 hapax legomena that
occur in the pericopes peculiar to Luke alone.

Grace and Peace,
Cindy Westfall
PhD Student, Roehampton