Re: Romans 7:15 - OU with QELW or PRASSW?

From: Mary L B Pendergraft (pender@wfu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 14 1998 - 13:20:31 EDT

At 09:49 AM 4/14/98 -0600, Williams, Wes wrote:
>In Romans 7:15,
>
>OU GAR hO` QELW TOUTO PRASSW
>
>For what I do not wish, this I practice vs
>For what I wish, this I do not practice.
>
>At first glance, it looks like the OU should modify QELW (I do not
>want). But a cursory glance at fifteen English translations reveals that
>almost all of them take the OU with PRASSW (I do not practice). Why do
>most translations take the OU with PRASSW?

As your message continued, the next clauses make the interpretation clear.
I'd add that the unusual and prominent position of OU puts in it high
relief, suggesting perhaps that it negates the whole statement: "It's not
the case that what I want, I do."

Mary Pendergraft
Associate Professor of Classical Languages
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109-7343
336-758-5331 (NOTE: this is a new number) pender@wfu.edu