Re: a wise man looks well into the matter.

From: Juan Stam (jstam@una.ac.cr)
Date: Wed Apr 15 1998 - 11:17:31 EDT

A hearty amen to this mini-thread! And let me add PANTA DE DOKIMAZETE from
Saint Paul.

Sadly, especially in circles (my own) which sometimes pretentiously call
ourselves "evangelical" but cling to opinions and interpretations with a
traditionalism and dogmatism worthy of better causes, we seem to fear
subjecting our neat package to critical scrutiny and tend to treat healthy
suspicion and constructive criticism almost as unbelief or as a lack of good
taste ("flaming"). No wonder so many Christians (and specifically,
"evangelicals") tend to be conformists. I have a lecture I give regularly
down here on "To be evangelical is to be critical" (like Paul, the Bereans,
Luther, Wesley etc, et al). Thanks to Eric Weiss and Bill Ross!
                                 Juan Stam, San Jose Costa Rica