Re: (longish) The Mysterious Disappearance of Verb Aspect

From: Rolf Furuli (furuli@online.no)
Date: Mon Apr 13 1998 - 04:40:51 EDT

 dalmatia@eburg.com writes:

<Is there a direct and simple differentiation you might provide between
<'complete' and 'completed'?

Dear George,

A short note: The word "complete" indicates that both the beginning and end
of an event or state is included in our viewpoint, the word "completed"
includes in addition past time. What is completed is past, either in
relation to speech time or to another point. Therefore, those working with
aspect use "complete" rather than "completed" as a description of the
perfective aspect. While most perfective situations in Greek include the
end, not all do (aorists with stative verbs often have an ingressive
(non-complete) force) so I will neither use "complete" for the Greek
perfective aspect.

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli