PEIRASMOS in 1 Tim. 6:9

From: Jeffrey Gibson (jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 15 1998 - 16:00:59 EDT

I have recently worked up an article on the meaning of PEIRASMOS in 1 Tim.
6:9 which (a) raises the question of whether the traditional rendering of the
noun as "temptation/seduction of believers to sin" is adequate and (b)
proposes a different understanding.

I would very much like comments from list members upon it, especially from
those who have an interest and/or some expertise in the pastorals. But
since the article is probably too long (5 pages with notes) to post to the
entire list, it is probably best - unless I have indications to the
contrary! - that I send it directly to anyone who wishes to see it.

So those of you who might be interested in reading it, please contact
me off-list.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu