Re: OINOS (was Aussies sort out Jonathan)

From: McKay family (music@fl.net.au)
Date: Tue Apr 14 1998 - 22:50:41 EDT

>By the way, what is the meaning of OINOS in Biblical literature?

G'day Alexander. Good to hear from you.

In our discussion, it was asserted that OINOS has a range of meaning, from
the juice still in the grape on the vine, to [possibly] fermented wine. One
of us is a convinced teetotaller, and does not believe that Jesus would have
drunk fermented wine and was able to put up a good argument for this point
of view.

We also discussed the interesting phenomenon of the relationship of words
for wine in several languages.

Pardon me if I use the wrong part of speech with some of these ... I am just
quoting from my BibleWorks CD ... I don't speak all these languages, of
course!
YAYIN Hebrew
OINOS Greek
VINUS [?] Latin
WEIN German
WIJN Dutch
VIN French
VINO Spanish and Italian
VINEN Danish
VIINIA Finnish
DIVEN Creole
But ... it seems to be different in Hungarian!

I reckon if you were not a teetotaller, it would not be difficult in almost
any country to express the desire for some wine!

Does anyone know of any other words that are so closely related?

David McKay
music@fl.net.au