Re: Another Carson Question--Sort Of

From: GregStffrd (GregStffrd@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 14 1998 - 23:59:08 EDT

Dear David:

<< My post, however, was not meant to address Sharp's rule, as Greg's
 question implies, but was offered as an illustration of Ed Komoszewski's
 observations and citations to the effect that the use of QEOS with SWTHR in
 reference to a person is a fairly well attested idiomatic expression of
 Koine Greek. >>

Then forget I ever asked the question. I assumed that since Ed was commenting
on the GS construction that you were responding in that vein.

<<The meanings of established idioms are understood by
 familiarity with their usages and not by application of more general rules
 as such. The papyri show unequivically that QEOS and SWTHR may be used
 together as we find them in 2P. 1:1 to refer to a person. >>

No, not necessarily. That is why I asked for examples of KAI-joined nouns with
a proper name asssociated with the second noun, where only the first has the
article. THAT would "show unequivically that QEOS and SWTHR may be used
together as we find them in 2P. 1:1 to refer to a person." Of course, 2 Peter
may still be a reference to one person, but there are several factors that
must be considered prior to any interpretation. I will outline these factors
in another post.

<< The idiomatic
 and formulaic nature of these numerous instances in the papyri strongly
 suggest that such a construction would also be understood in a unified,
 formulaic way by the first addressees of 1 Peter. Those who are inclined
 to deny the unity of reference for the expression TOU QEOU KAI SWTHROS
 IHSOU CRISTOU in 1P. 1:1 may construe the expression as referring to two
 persons, but these instances of similar constructions with QEOS and SWTHR
 from among the papyri certainly point in the oposite direction. >>

They don't have any relation at all to the point we are considering, namely,
does SWTHROS IC function as a compound proper name? Or, does IC, in apposition
to SWTHROS, so restrict the application of SWTHROS that the repetition of the
article was not necessary?

Examples from the papyri, which do not parallel the christologically
significant texts in NT which contain proper names used in association with
the second of two KAI-joined nouns, are of little help at this point. Unless
we are going to argue that certain nouns used apart from proper names have the
force of a proper name, such as "Christ."

Greg Stafford
University of Wisconsin