Some Final Thoughts on GS

From: GregStffrd (GregStffrd@aol.com)
Date: Thu Apr 16 1998 - 17:43:24 EDT

It was not my intention to get this involved in the discussion concerning
Sharp's rule, but I will here make what I hope will be a useful and
enlightening contribution to this forum.

Before we get into the meat of Sharp's rule, there is another issue that came
up with respect to Dan Wallace's comments regarding my published discussion of
GS, Wallace's thesis, and all other relevant literature on this topic.

Most of you may recall that David McKay posted a response from Wallace that
was apparently given to him in response to McKay's inquiry about my work.
McKay said:

<< Greg Stafford wrote:
 [big snip]
  I recommend that >anyone interested in the G. Sharp issue obtain Wallace's
thesis, or at least his Grammar, and consider what he has to say. Then, to
round out your understanding, read the Excursus in my book, which contains a
consideration of all relevant literature, including Wallace's thesis, and
make up your own mind.

I was interested to find out what Dan Wallace thinks of the use of his work
 in Greg Stafford's book "Jehovah's Witnesses Defended" so I wrote to him,
 and he has given me permission to quote from his reply to me.>>>>

After asking David for Wallace's complete reply (as the portion we were given
contained several ellipses), a member on this list was told that such could
not be given. There seems to be an attempt by some to create contention among
myself and Wallace, as well as with some members on this list. Whether or not
Wallace intended for his comments to find their way here, via ellipses, is not
clear.

I respect Wallace, but I disagree with some of his conclusions on a number of
fronts, and I respectfully outline my differences with him in my book. Because
I am not particularly fond of providing a response to people through second-
or thrid-hand sources, I have copied Wallace on my reply, so that he knows how
his response has been used and is aware of what I am saying about his reply,
etc.

In the part of the reply that we all received from David McKay, Wallace
claimed:

WALLACE:
The results of Stafford's method are completely predictable ... He has
selectively quoted from my works, ignoring the accompanying data given in
many places ... His argument that "Savior Jesus Christ" is a title was dealt
with quite adequately in Murray Harris' Jesus as God, as well as my
dissertation, but Stafford ignores the arguments ...>>>>>

As I said before, I address both Harris' and Wallace's arguments on this issue
in my book (and to some degree below). So, unless he offers any specifics, I
cannot take Wallace seriously, here.

WALLACE:
<< He fails to note, for example, that (1) no proper names are ever used in
the
 NT in conformity to the Granville Sharp rule, and (2) THEOS comprises the
 Single largest set of examples that DO fit the Granville Sharp rule...>>>>

It is the above assertion that made me think, "You have got to be kidding,
Wallace." That is why I titled my initial reply the way I did. I certainly
meant nothing other than to express my shock and disappointment at what I
perceived to be an utter failure to appreciate the position I have taken on
this matter involving THEOS as a proper name. In fact, I will here refer to a
footnote in my book that clearly states my position on this matter:

... "Kuehne's sole objection to this is that if CRISTOU is taken as a
_quasi_ proper name in this passage, then it should be anarthrous and in
the second position. 52

52 Kuehne, "The Greek Article," Theology 14 (June, 1974), 20. Of course,
even if this were true, the possibility would remain that QEOS, standing
in the second position, could have the force of a proper name. But there
are problems with seeing QEOS, _by itself,_ as the equivalent of a
proper name. Wallace offers several reasons why QEOS is not a _quasi_
proper name, but none are as convincing, or intriguing as 2Th 2:16. UBS4
and NA26 contain the reading, hO KURIOS hHMWN IHSOUS CRISTOS KAI [hO] QEOS hO
PATHR hHMWN ("our Lord Jesus Christ and God our Father"). The article before
QEOS is enclosed in brackets, for it is lacking in B D* K
33 1175 1739 1881 and other witnesses, though it is found in `aleph* D2 F G
and others. The article also occurs before QEOS in several other
witnesses (including A I Y[Psi]), but these readings contain different
variants of hO PATHR hHMWN (see, B.M. Metzger, A Textual Commentary on the
Greek New Testament, 3d edition [New York: United Bible Societies,
1971], 637). If hO QEOS is the true reading, it is difficult to
understand its articularity, being in the second position, if indeed
QEOS is the equivalent of a proper name. On the other hand, if hO KURIOS
hHMWN IHSOUS CRISTOS KAI QEOS hO PATHR hHMWN is the true reading, with an
anarthrous QEOS following KAI, then several possibilities exist: 1) Jesus
Christ is identified as "God the Father"; 2) it is an exception to
Sharp's rule; 3) it is an invalid example of Sharp's rule because QEOS,
standing in the second position, has the force of a proper name; 4) the
entire phrase QEOS hO PATHR is taken together as the equivalent of a
proper name, as hO PATHR restricts the anarthrous QEOS to a person who
is everywhere in the New Testament distinguished from "our Lord Jesus
Christ" (see, for example, Ro 15:5-6; 1Co 1:3; Eph 1:3, 17); or 5) hO
KURIOS hHMWN IHSOUS CRISTOS is a compound proper name and is, therefore,
distinct from what follows. Thus, we can see that whereas some nouns _by
themselves_ may not constitute _quasi_ proper names, they may, together
with accompanying terms, be viewed independent of all that preceeds or
follow them. More will be said about this as the three other
christologically significant texts are considered."-- "Jehovah's Witnesses
Defended - An Answer to Scholars and Critics," p. 235-236, note 52, on the
discussion of Ephesians 5:5.

In Titus 2:13 I believe that THEOS, together with hO MEGAS, is a case where
THEOS has the force of a proper name, as it is a description used frequently
of Jehovah in the LXX OT. See my book for details. I also believe "Savior
Jesus Christ" does not require an article to stand on its own when it follows
KAI (see below).

The majority of examples Wallace offers for a pool of comparison do NOT have a
proper name in the second position, whether taken in apposition to the second
KAI-joined noun or not. Neither do his examples from the papyri provide any
exact parallels.

As for THEOS in 2 Peter 1:1, it does not have a proper name used in connection
with it, and I am not arguing for THEOS as a proper name in this instance.

This brings me to the issue of grammar versus theology. What I mean is best
illustrated by two posts from Dale Wheeler. All on this would surely agree
that Dale is a fine scholar who makes excellent contributions to the list, and
also does fine work in helping with computer-aided study tools, like GRAMCORD.
Recall that he made the comment, regarding GS constructions, that he is
"solely translating grammar"? But when we were discussing John 1:1 a few
months ago, Dale stated: