Re: Punctuation in Codex Bezae (on the web)

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Sat Apr 11 1998 - 09:02:17 EDT

At 08:52 PM 4/10/98 -0700, you wrote:
>In light of the recent discussion of punctuation (or the lack of it) in the
>early Greek NT manuscripts, I thought I would point out that portions of
>Codex Bezae are available on the web through the Greek Language &
>Linguistics Gateway (URL below). The images of this manuscript illustrate
>very well some of the issues which came up in the earlier
>discussion--spaces separating clauses (but not individual words), and an
>occassional raised dot to indicate a full stop.

Beza is- 1) far too late to be taken into account as an early example of
scribal practice, and 2) not a very good copy at that. Thus, it is not
really reliable as a textual base or as an example of the practice of 1st
and 2nd century scribes.

Best, and happy Easter/Passover to all.

Jim

Jim West, ThD