Re: Hebrew and Greek as languages

From: Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Apr 18 1998 - 23:13:33 EDT

I wrote earlier:
>>In fact, Hebrew script changed quite rapidly. I believe the block script
>>which is commonly taught in biblical Hebrew classes today is found in much
>>of the rabbinic writings (or at least a version similar to it), but it is
>>very different from what is found in inscriptions from the first century.
>>If I remember right, the inscription on the Caiaphas osuary (discovered
>>only a few years ago) would be illegible to many Hebrew Bible students.

At 11:26 AM -0600 4/11/98, Edgar M. Krentz responded:
>Michael is correct in what he says above, but his chronology is a bit too
>late. Actually the Dead Sea Scrolls use a script very close to the script
>used today in printing. However, in some of them the proper name of God is
>written in the old Hebrew script which you will find on the so-called Gezer
>calendar (an inscription of the Seventh Century B.C.). The burial
>inscription for the tomb of King Uzziah (placed later) is in a script that
>appears to be transitional between t he two.
>
>You might want to consult the work Frank Cross did on the paleography of
>the Dead Sea scrolls.

Edgar:

How would you interpret the evidence of the Caiaphas osuary (fairly clearly
dated in the NT period)? Is it just an archaic script used for effect or am
I remembering it incorrectly?

Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer@earthlink.net
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College

Visit the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/
You can also access my online bibliography of Greek Linguistics at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/greek.linguistics.bibliography/bibliography.
html