Re: Aorist Morphology and Meaning (frightfully long)

From: dalmatia@eburg.com
Date: Mon Apr 13 1998 - 23:39:17 EDT

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> At 10:14 AM -0500 4/13/98, dalmatia@eburg.com wrote:

> >really do have difficulty abandoning common sense and accepting the
> >authority of what seems to be emerging here as a kind of linguistic
> >priesthood, comprised of excellent people who have been initiated into
> >the language and teachings of the Mysteries of the Greek Verb.

> I seem to find myself cast in the role of a member of a "linguistic
> priesthood, comprised of excellent people who have been initiated into the
> language and teachings of the Mysteries of the Greek Verb."

Carl!!

I am sorry!! I did not mean to accuse... I should have said that
this approach FEELS to me this way, because nobody seems to directly
and simply address the issues in the way that I have been clumsily
raising them.

 When you tell me, as a matter of 'fact', that S is not S, and Ward
tells me that all aorists are identical in meaning, without saying
why, and then Rolf, whom I greatly admire, tells me to give up common
sense, because I only speak English, I have to back up, plant both
feet firmly on the ground, take a huge breath of the freshest air I
can find, wipe off my glasses, and see if I can find a fresh
look-see!! The key word in my difficulty monologue is SEEMS, my
friend, and I most certainly did NOT mean to cast anybody into the
role of being a member of the 'linguistic priesthood'. You know... I
wondered as I typed that if you or anyone might take it personally,
instead of as an appearance forming under the onslaught of
authoritative assertions. I very much regret not taking the time to
reword it.

And I thank-you hugely for the bushel basket of 'acorns' out of Acts,
you foxy old squirrel!! And that after I confessed to only being able
to handle them one at a time!! :-) :-) So I've got my sleeves
rolled up, and my glasses off, so as to see better up close...

The common-sense 'reality' issues of tense and aspect do seem to be in
the process of being addressed on another thread in progress with Ron
and Rolf... My education continues... [aorist! :-)]

With gratitude and remorse...

George